Sunday 9 October 2011

Phnom pen (1)









Phnom pen seems like an ok place but nothing special. The grand palice is worth visiting i guess but its not as interesting as the one in bangkok.Its simmilar in size but not in the volume of sculpture and crazy shiny stuff. I walked round it and was finished with it in under 1 hour (i spent about 3 in the BKK palace).The silver pagoda with a floor of entirely silver tiles was the standout feature only 98% of the tiles were covered with carpet for people to walk on.
The tourture camp and the killing fields are the only real reason to visit phnom pen in my opinion and i spent about an entire day doing both.
In the town i found i quite liked the khimir curries (A fair bit more than any thai curries i have tried) and ate one every evening at a different venu.I also found myself drinking coffee as a time killer, I have been forced into drinking it against my will a few times since i arived in asia and I havent started liking it yet...but I have developed an attitude of indifference towards it. I spend money on it because it gives you something to do. Its too hot to drink in five minuets so it forces you to sit in one place for about half an hour and just people watch. If i werent drinking it i would just be walking up and down the streets on my already hurting feet wearing them down to the bone.
One thing that is quite usefull to know is that many of the kids walk about selling books as a way to earn some money, amoung these books were a few up to date lonely planet books for a few neighbouring countries. I bought a copy of the cambodia edition for 3 dollars.some of the colour pictures were poor quality but the black and white maps and text were all acurate and printed clearley.

No comments:

Post a Comment