Saturday 22 October 2011

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)









started by walking about the local area then chose to go to a museum. It looked like a long way on the map so I chose to get a taxi there and walk back. I had only been in vietnam about an hour and I was still learning the value of the money. I got a bike driver and got asked for 800 thousand dong, using my experience from in thailand/laos/cambodia I had come to expect to pay about half of what they ask for. I setteled on 250 thousand after a minute or two of bartering. The trip was only about 4 minutes but my feet were hurting at this point. A few minutes after I got off the bike and walked along the street I realised I had made a mistake, I agreed to pay the guy 250 thousand when I should have paid more in the area of 25 thousand (a dollar is about 23 thousand).Forgetting the value of the currency was a pain, and the fact the guy asked for 800 thousand at first threw me right off.
The traffic is mental with scooters everywhere, crossing any street takes a fair amount of skill and patience.
The next day I went on a tour to a temple and the tunnels from the war. they were interesting and worth seeing, but you only spend a short time there compared to the bus trip. There was even a shooting range at the tunnels where thewy had a selection of guns to try out for 1 dollar a bullet.but the 10 bullet minimum meant I didnt have enough money on me at the time. I quite fancied trying out the AK-47 and/or what i think was a Garland rifle? I cant remember the name.
had a few drinks with a group of people from croydon (one was staying in the same dorm as me)
The City itself has enough stuff to keep you ocupied for a couple of days but the overall atmosphere is nothing special (though a few people I was with loved it) The one thing I missed that I probably shouldnt have was what i think was called the presidential palice. A building kinda like the white house in the USAthat had been untouched since the vietnam war. Board rooms and hallways in an old style and a hellicopter sitting on the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment